In addition to offering training and certification, Lead The Way provides professional development and consultancy in animal assisted interactions (AAI) for individuals and organisations.
NEW WORKSHOP FOR MENTAL HEALTH THERAPISTS
Clients and Their Assistance or Companion Animals
Friday 20th August 2021
This fun and interactive workshop will explore the role, benefits and pitfalls of working with client’s own companion animals or service/assistance dogs in therapy. You will learn how to work with the dyad of client-animal and client-therapist including:
- Which animals should and shouldn’t come into the therapy room
- The benefits of the oxytocin effect
- Establishing and maintaining safe boundaries for animals, clients and therapists
- Tools to creatively engage your clients and their animals in the therapeutic process, whether in the room or not
- Understanding the nature of client-animal interactions, and how these reflect psychological processes, including unconscious patterns, somatic experiences, and regulation
During this workshop, you will be provided with opportunities to workshop clinical cases, develop a toolkit of questions and responses for use in sessions, and experience for yourself the impact of human-animal interactions. This will include both large and small group discussion and roleplays.
- This workshop is suitable for qualified therapists and mental health clinicians, including social workers, psychologists and counsellors, who work with clients who have or report a strong bond with their animals. You do not need to work directly with animals yourself, or have experience working with therapy animals or in animal-assisted therapy.
- There will be Certified Therapy Dogs on site at the workshop, who will be engaged during activities and role plays
- This workshop will be recorded for later sale (excluding participant role-plays)
- Minimum and maximum participant numbers apply
Cost: $410 inc. GST
(Group discounts for 3+ participants from the same organisation $370ea)
Venue: Ferntree Gully
Professional Development, Seminars & Conference Presentations
Our team are experts in their fields and can provide dynamic presentations to a wide variety of professional audiences. Accompanied by our visiting therapy dogs, presentations are designed to be engaging and hands-on. We offer training at both introductory and advanced levels.
Lead the Way can assist organisations with the process of beginning an Animal-Assisted Interaction (AAI) programme, or refining existing programmes. There is more to effective engagement than simply having an animal present – understanding the benefits of Human-Animal Interaction (HAI) and developing gaol focussed interactions can make the difference between a successful and a failing service.
Professionals working in the field of Animal-Assisted Interactions (AAI) may find themselves isolated and in need of strategic direction. This is where one-on-one clinical or professional supervision can be helpful. From gaining general knowledge to problem solving specific cases, we can assist professionals to make the most of their working partnerships with their therapy animals.
Please contact us to discuss your specific requirements.